Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My New Hobby--and It's not Changing Diapers!

Well, Nathaniel and I have discovered a new hobby. That's one thing that is fun when you get married is doing your spouse's hobbies with him/her. Like listening to them talk in their sleep or play guitar for hours or stomping on the brakes when they say, "Stop here, I want to take a picture!" or collecting things like rocks and snakeskins and birdnests. . .

But anyhow, we went for a drive, like we do fairly often when we can't stand being in town, even a small city like Bismarck! And as we were going along the road that parallels the river, I see a sign for a boat landing and point and blurt out, "Landing!" Which meant and my smart husband correctly interpreted as "Turn and go there!" So we wander around and put out a smouldering log someone had left, it was windy, and I was glad it hadn't spread.

I had the camera and took some pictures of the river and trees and wanted to have a person next to this ginormous tree by the parking area. So my sweet man bravely volunteered for the duty and proceeded to climb said huge tree. I took a couple of pictures and as he was climbing down, he found a film canister with a little toy soldier wired to it. We are most curious and open it to find that it is a Geocache.

Geocaching is where someone hides a cache (film canister or other sort of container) and posts the coordinates on a website: http://www.geocaching.com/about/ and other people can plug those coordinates into their GPSs and find the cache. You write in the logbook and leave something and take something--if there's something that appeals to you.

To join is free, and you can actually do it without a GPS. Hehe, which I really like because it's just not the way it's done, hehe.

We use Google Earth, and measure the distance from this point and so forth and have found 8 that way. Okay, okay, so two of those were accidental finds, the first and another while looking for another one. But it is really fun and instead of our usual drive around and look for something to do, or a place to go walking where's there's not tons of (or any) people, (can you tell we grew up in the country?), we go driving to find hidden treasure.

We took a button from on cache which says, "I use multi-million dollar satellites to find Tupperware in the woods. What's your hobby?"

Which bring up a question, what is your hobby? And do you or do you think most people usually have only one hobby? Is reading a hobby? I'm taking a poll, so answer! :D

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Oh Demanding One! I shall answer your question! :)
I, like you, have the hobby of listening to my spouse talk in his sleep. It's quite interesting and sometimes sounds like he's reading from a book!
I do believe that reading can be a hobby since it can be put off due to other more 'necessary' things to do in life. But it is also greatly missed when it is not around. That is another hobby of mine....reading and procrastinating. :)
And if one can have more than one (or two or three) hobbies, I think the hobby I partake in the most is 'people watching/listening.' I find other people's lives quite interesting. Can't you tell? I read your blog!

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Maggi said...

Hey, who was demanding I add to my blog before my baby comes, which I added two posts, might I point out?

Besides, unless people comment, I don't know that it's being read, hence I quit posting. :(

Does your husband ever answer if you talk to him when he's talking in his sleep? Mine wakes up and doesn't remember his dream, which sometimes, I really want to know!

Our friend from Alaska always talked in her sleep when we roomed together in college, and I always wanted to ask her what she wanted for Christmas, but in college, well you're so tired you're not gonna wake up in the middle of the night if you don't have to. It's a lot easier to bug your husband if you've gotten up to make a trip to the bathroom and then can't fall asleep.:D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home